Over 200 houses, outboard engines, fishing nets, boats and household properties worth millions of Naira, were burnt to ashes in Ibeno Local Government Area.

The fire incident took place on 2nd January 2018, at about 4pm.

The tragic news while getting to the Executive Chairman of Ibeno Local Government Area, Pst. Rt. Hon. Ifum Henry Udoh, caused him to be heartbroken, since a disaster with such magnitude of damages, is said to be the first in the area.

Consequently, the Ibeno council boss, his vice, Hon. Sunday Isokobo and the ten councillors of the local government, embarked on a 40 minutes journey on water, to Akata village, were the fire incident took place.

While at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that over 900 people excluding children were homeless and with no means of livelihood.

According to the village head of Akata, Chief Alexander Thomas and the youth present, Mr Friday Charles Sunday, the fire was a mysterious one, as no one in the community could identify it root cause.
However, they solicited assistance in form of relief materials from the government, companies and other relevant bodies to ameliorate their suffering.

The councillor representing ward 4, Hon. Nse-abasi Elijah, stressed that, even the only health center that was in the village has been burnt, making life unbearable for the victims of the fire disaster.

The Executive Chairman, moved by compassion, gave bags of rice, beans, salt, gallons of palm oil, cartons of seasoning etc. as relief materials.

He further urge them to be patient with the government, while he works out proactive measures to bring them succour.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Or

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *